West Virginia Center for the Book celebrates WV Reads 150 and prepares for WV Reads 150+ in 2014
The West Virginia Center for the Book invites participants of WV Reads 150, a reading initiative in honor of West Virginia’s sesquicentennial, to a celebration on Saturday, March 22, 2014, in the West Virginia Culture Center in Charleston, WV.
The event was originally scheduled for January 11, but was cancelled due to the water emergency in the Charleston area.
West Virginians of all ages and walks of life joined the year-long initiative to read 150 books in 2013, West Virginia’s sesquicentennial year. Participants read books in any format (printed, e-book, downloadable text), from any source and on any topic, fiction or non-fiction. People read books individually or joined teams to read 150 books collectively at more than 75 public libraries, academic libraries, schools and bookstores across the state. A total of 113,282 books were read by 447 teams statewide.
WV Reads 150 participants, teams, and librarians are invited to the celebration on Saturday, March 22 from 1:00-3:00 PM in the Great Hall of the Culture Center in the State Capitol Complex, Charleston, and in the West Virginia Library Commission J. D. Waggoner Reading Room, adjacent to the Great Hall.
Prize drawings will be held throughout the open house reception, and a number of West Virginia authors will attend for book signings. Marc Harshman, WV Poet Laureate, will be the master of ceremonies.
Authors’ book(s) will be available for purchase in the Tamarack West Virginia Museum Shop. The WV State Museum will be open and available for tours free of charge:
- Bill Bitner and Danny Boyd–Death Falcon Zero vs. The Zombie Slug Lords
- Patricia Harman – The Blue Cotton Gown: A Midwife’s Memoir, Arms Wide Open: A Midwife’s Journey, The Midwife of Hope River: A Novel
- Marc Harshman – WV Poet Laureate; A Little Excitement, Snow Company, Rocks in My Pockets, Red are the Apples, Only One Neighborhood, The Storm
- Marie Manilla - Still Life with Plums: Short Stories, Shrapnel
- Betty Rivard – New Deal Photographs of West Virginia, 1934 - 1943
- Mack Samples - The Devil's Tea Tables: West Virginia Ghost Stories and Other Tales
- Sarah Title – Romance Author; Kentucky Home, Kentucky Christmas: A Novella, Apple of My Pie: A Novella
The celebration will also kick off WV READS 150+, a new reading initiative for 2014. For more information about the celebration and the new campaign, contact Susan Hayden, Adult Services Consultant, Susan.G.Hayden@wv.gov, 304-558-3978.