Guidelines | Approval Process and Forms | Educational Links | Calendar of Upcoming CE Opportunities
Association of Rural and Small Libraries Conference Scholarships
WVLC is pleased to announce the formation of 2 Scholarships for this year's Association of Rural and Small Libraries (ARSL) Conference in Raleigh, NC from September 27-29, 2012. Funding through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), in conjunction with WVLC, provides up to $1,000 reimbursement for registration, travel, hotel and meals for each scholarship recipient.
View Guidelines, Eligibility Requirements and Download Application
Section 3.13. of the Library Commission Legislative Rules and Regulations, the library director completes no fewer than eight (8) hours of continuing education per year. All other full time library support staff complete no fewer than three (3) hours of continuing education per year.
- Continuing education opportunities include both formal and informal learning situations that are designed to keep library personnel abreast of knowledge and development within the field, enhance job competence, or lead to specialization in new areas of librarianship.
- Full time library support staff should work closely with the library director to meet the continuing education requirement. Because of the scope of librarianship, it is important to attend workshops and presentations on a broad range of topics.
- Annually -- before July 30th -- each library is required to send the Library Commission a list of currently employed full time support staff.
- Continuing education opportunities include classes or workshops provided by, but not limited to
- Colleges and Universities
- West Virginia Library Commission
- West Virginia Library Association
- Service Center Libraries
- Staff Development Programs
- Consortia such as MLN and NORLN
- American Library Association
- Public Library Association.
Approval Process and Form
- To apply for credit, please complete the Continuing Education Request for Approval form and submit it to John Paul Myrick.
- Proof of attendance must be provided in the form of a registration receipt, attendance sheet, certificate, etc.
- Upon receipt of the proof of attendance, the Library Commission records the hours.
- Full time support staff may earn up to three hours of continuing education credit at one event.
- Directors must attend at least two types of events, for example, one workshop and one conference to earn eight hours of credit.
- Unless otherwise noted, events with fees may be eligible for financial assistance through WVLC. To apply for assistance contact John Paul Myrick. If requesting financial assistance DO NOT REGISTER for the event, but submit a letter to John Paul Myrick, no later than one month prior to the event.